- A rended, dismembered cow lies oddly supine. Its entrails eviscerated clean.
- Stripped trees. The limbs torn from their trunks.
- Bird droppings as large as the PC's head underfoot.
- Local woodland creatures intermittently startled from unseen and unpresent threats overhead.
- Claw marks trench the ground.
- A large (2 foot) feather rests upon a large rock.
- The sky grows dark as the ominous shadow of a large soaring bird blots out the sun.
- A cacophonous caw pierces the air. Even the leaves rattle in the sound.
- A dark shape grows rapidly above the PCs. A flash of talon then the useless cry of a nearby cow, horse, or goat as it is whisked violently away.
- A stunning, tight turn as avian wings race by, nearly caressing a random PC as they pass. The dusty ground twists into a vortex.
- Hovering, direct, full frontal visual encounter nearly within bow shot. The powerful wings beating the wind as it considers the PCs, before pulling away.
- Bird droppings incoming(!) Save or suffer a direct hit. No damage but party ridicule required.
- What did I do to you? The Anka, a raging flurry of feathers, talons, and beak fights angrily, viciously to its or the PC's death.
- The Anka, a tree branch held within its talons, attempts to mow down the party. Save to avoid. On failure the PC is knocked prone, losing 1 HP. The Anka drops the branch and circles quickly, attempting to snatch any who've fallen. Make a DEX check (-1 for players without the DEX ability). Every attempt to resist is a STR (-2) check with success equivalent to 10, then 20, then 40, then 80 feet, etc. of falling damage.
- From above a talon attempts to snatch a random player. Save to avoid. If unsuccessful, the Anka will carry the PC to its nest, presumably for lunch. Every attempt to resist is a STR (-2) check with success equivalent to 10, then 20, then 40, then 80 feet, etc. of falling damage.
- A young hatchling, the size of a dog, tumbles from above and into a nearby thicket. Its mother follows closely behind. Deciding that PCs are a direct threat to her young, she gains an additional +1 to her first attack.
- As quickly as it wasn't there, it is. Random character save or be surprised. The Anka will fight to the first injury then flee.
- Impossibly, the Anka lands within bowshot and regards the PCs warily. Its purpose is unclear. Good roleplay, food offering, and/or a successful CHA (automatic success to characters who have the CHA ability, otherwise 7+) may find the PCs with an ally.
Charles Maurice Detmold (1883-1908)